Powerlifting Logs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LIME the title

4 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

LIME the title - Page 7 Empty Re: LIME the title

Post  Admin Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:08 am

bench press
135x10
185x5
245x3
295x1
345x2x1 <---- lol at how hard these were
315x4

incline
135x5
195x3
245x1
285x1

dips
90x5
135x3

thoughts

there was no good way to program the bench day today, it was pretty much a wasted day since I maxed last week. I decided to just go up to 345 and hope that it felt amazing so I could try another PR, but I barely got the reps. Oh well

Admin
Admin

https://powerliftinglogs.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:09 am

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Admin wrote:tell me how to make my body go fast then?

Lol, the most nerve wrecking thing is going to be looking as the camera wondering if I hit depth or not when I do it....

Practice and you gotta lose the fear of failing in my opinion. You are clearly strong enough to squat 500

lawlll you definitely gotta work without a mirror* and get some consistency

idk how to lose a subconscious fear.

I am not even sure its "fear", it might just be fatigue. I wasnt able to lower my bench quickly today either.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 pm

squats
95x1 <---- almost fell back, completely locked up
95x2x5
165x2x3
225x2x2
275x2
325x2
375x1
425x1

RDL
135x2x8
225x8

curl
4 sets

thoughts

wtf man, completely locked up

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:33 am

Admin wrote:
idk how to lose a subconscious fear.

I am not even sure its "fear", it might just be fatigue. I wasnt able to lower my bench quickly today either.

I highly doubt it is fatigue since you do it on the first reps of submaximal weight

You need to actively fight it and make a conscious effort to descend more aggressively

Also when you squat you don't seem to really hit a bottom, you just go down until you think you hit depth and then up
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:40 pm

I dont mean fatigue as in muscular fatigue, I mean CNS fatigue.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Admin wrote:I dont mean fatigue as in muscular fatigue, I mean CNS fatigue.

is cns fatigue even a real thing?
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:14 pm

KelvinAlvy wrote:

of course cns fatigue is real.

if it wasnt, you could max out every 3 days and hit the same weight every 3 days.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Admin wrote:
KelvinAlvy wrote:

if it wasnt, you could max out every 3 days and hit the same weight every 3 days.

Well that doesn't have to be from CNS fatigue...

Plenty of oly lifters do just btw
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:42 pm

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Admin wrote:
KelvinAlvy wrote:

Well that doesn't have to be from CNS fatigue...

Plenty of oly lifters do just btw

you are on that stupid time.

there are literally no olympic lifters on the entire planet who work up to a competition maximum.

they work up to a training maximum, which is defined as the heaviest weight that can be lifted without a substantial increase in blood pressure and/or heart rate.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Admin wrote:

there are literally no olympic lifters on the entire planet who work up to a competition maximum.

they work up to a training maximum, which is defined as the heaviest weight that can be lifted without a substantial increase in blood pressure and/or heart rate.

I recall reading that in zatsiorsky's book as well

However didn't he also mention that a trained lifter will automatically increase blood pressure/heart rate regardless, and that the increase is merely from a competition setting?

Point being that they are going 100% of their daily max but they aren't getting that boost from the competition setting if you see what I am trying to say
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:36 pm

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Admin wrote:

I recall reading that in zatsiorsky's book as well

However didn't he also mention that a trained lifter will automatically increase blood pressure/heart rate regardless, and that the increase is merely from a competition setting?

Point being that they are going 100% of their daily max but they aren't getting that boost from the competition setting if you see what I am trying to say

no, there is a weight threshold for all lifters that causes significant apprehension of the weight, this is usually around ~85-90% of your 1RM. This is your training maximum.

Lifters train up to a competition maximum outside of competitions too, just rarely.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Admin wrote:

no, there is a weight threshold for all lifters that causes significant apprehension of the weight, this is usually around ~85-90% of your 1RM. This is your training maximum.

Lifters train up to a competition maximum outside of competitions too, just rarely.[/quote]

are there any markers or parameters for measuring cns fatigue at a scientific level?

I almost always hear cns fatigue from an anecdotal standpoint, especially from louie simmons. He often cites Zatsiorsky as a source but I never saw Zatsiorsky define cns fatigue

KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 pm

bench
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x2x5

dips
45x5
90x5
135x5
180x1
205x1

squats
95x5
165x5
225x5
275x2
345x1

better form

you think 1rm dips are dangerous?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 pm

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Admin wrote:

Lifters train up to a competition maximum outside of competitions too, just rarely.

are there any markers or parameters for measuring cns fatigue at a scientific level?

I almost always hear cns fatigue from an anecdotal standpoint, especially from louie simmons. He often cites Zatsiorsky as a source but I never saw Zatsiorsky define cns fatigue

[/quote]

he mentions it in the supertraining book, but you probably didnt pay attention because you didnt understand it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Admin wrote:
he mentions it in the supertraining book, but you probably didnt pay attention because you didnt understand it.

do you care to give the cliffs?
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Basically, there are many factors which can lead to CNS fatigue.

1. Is decreased firing rate of the efferent motor neurons

2. Another is insufficient afferent stimulation by the muscle spindle (alpha motor neurons)

3. I believe he mentions chronic depolarization of the motor neurons desensitizes them or down regulates the reactivity of the motor end plate, but I do not remember

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Admin wrote:Basically, there are many factors which can lead to CNS fatigue.

2. Another is insufficient afferent stimulation by the muscle spindle (alpha motor neurons)

3. I believe he mentions chronic depolarization of the motor neurons desensitizes them or down regulates the reactivity of the motor end plate, but I do not remember

do you mean are a consequence of CNS fatigue?

wtf does #3 mean. be gentle
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:24 pm

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Admin wrote:Basically, there are many factors which can lead to CNS fatigue.

do you mean are a consequence of CNS fatigue?

wtf does #3 mean. be gentle

thats the secondary "causes" of CNS fatigue.

the primary causes probably have to do with neurotransmitters, calcium, and G proteins. We dont fully understand this yet.

there is really no way I can explain #3 to you if you dont understand how neurons work.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:26 am

175 3x5 SOHP plus some gains
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:08 am

i honestly dont know what the hell happened today. what I do know, is that I felt so shitty that my resting heart rate was about 100. been feeling this way all week. I think its pretty clear that I am far gone on the overtraining scale and/or I have AIDS.

I can't really say I failed anything today, because that would imply I made an effort to do the weight. What actually happened was, I picked up the 500 bar off the rack 2 times, and both times I did a semi controlled negative to the bottom of the rack without making an effort to move the bar. It was complete motor inhibition by my CNS, and if you think otherwise, well, you're just wrong.

I dont even know what to do right now, I think I need a very very long break from squatting.

I dont think I am gonna do 500 lbs for a single ever again, 500 is not going to be attempted until I want to do it for a double, because this is retarded, it never works out, and my programming always breaks down towards the end. I try to peak far too late, I was at a peak about 2 weeks ago when I maxed out on bench.

I also gave a half assed attempt at a 485 deadlift, and my body just stopped me.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:17 am

sorry to hear that Sad

Do you honestly think your body automatically stops you at 500#?
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 am

This is actually the first time I am legitimately depressed because of something that happened when I was lifting. I hate myself so much right now.

I don't "think" my body stops me at 500, I know my body stops me at 500. This is the 3rd time I have attempted a 500 squat, and its been the same exact thing every time, I just end up doing a controlled negative. This shouldnt have even been too difficult of a rep considering I did 475x2 last week without too much trouble.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:28 am

Admin wrote:This is actually the first time I am legitimately depressed because of something that happened when I was lifting. I hate myself so much right now.

I don't "think" my body stops me at 500, I know my body stops me at 500. This is the 3rd time I have attempted a 500 squat, and its been the same exact thing every time, I just end up doing a controlled negative. This shouldnt have even been too difficult of a rep considering I did 475x2 last week without too much trouble.

Dude honestly I don't know why you let it get to you so much. It's just lifting and you are stronger than you ever were. Who cares if you didn't hit 500? You only want to hit 500 because it's a clean number, if this was in kilos or something else the weight that is on the bar would mean nothing other than a pr

I think you need to take a step back and realize you are stronger than you were before the cycle, and attempt to address the problem you are having

There is really never any reason to get depressed over powerlifting even though it is frustrating
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:35 am

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Admin wrote:This is actually the first time I am legitimately depressed because of something that happened when I was lifting. I hate myself so much right now.

Dude honestly I don't know why you let it get to you so much. It's just lifting and you are stronger than you ever were. Who cares if you didn't hit 500? You only want to hit 500 because it's a clean number, if this was in kilos or something else the weight that is on the bar would mean nothing other than a pr

I think you need to take a step back and realize you are stronger than you were before the cycle, and attempt to address the problem you are having

There is really never any reason to get depressed over powerlifting even though it is frustrating

I dont know why either. I knows its just a number, and I know I am stronger than I was before, but none of that really means anything if I cant translate that strength gain into a PR. I am doing something extremely wrong in my squatting, and I am just clueless how to fix it. Deadlifts are the same too.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:54 am

have you come up with a plan yet
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content