Powerlifting Logs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kevin's log

3 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

Kevin's log - Page 4 Empty Re: Kevin's log

Post  Admin Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:46 pm

There is a huge difference between your clean example and my bench example.

I will STILL be benching HEAVY 2 (maybe 3) times a week, the light bench press will act purely as a SUPPLEMENT to the heavier benching. In your clean example, you didn't supplement with heavy cleans often enough to retain your larger motor unit efficiency.

In my example, I still train the motor units with heavy workouts, while focusing on the motor PATTERN with light days. Building a motor pattern should be fairly independent of weight on a movement like the bench press, because heavier weight doesn't significantly shift your center or gravity because you're lying against a bench rather than standing up.

Thats 5 sets of 10 with 135, which I think is far too light to get tendonitis. Keep in my mind this idea revolves around the idea that the motor PATTERN is detrained much faster than the motor efficiency and motor units.

Admin
Admin

https://powerliftinglogs.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Admin wrote:There is a huge difference between your clean example and my bench example.

I will STILL be benching HEAVY 2 (maybe 3) times a week, the light bench press will act purely as a SUPPLEMENT to the heavier benching. In your clean example, you didn't supplement with heavy cleans often enough to retain your larger motor unit efficiency.

In my example, I still train the motor units with heavy workouts, while focusing on the motor PATTERN with light days. Building a motor pattern should be fairly independent of weight on a movement like the bench press, because heavier weight doesn't significantly shift your center or gravity because you're lying against a bench rather than standing up.

Thats 5 sets of 10 with 135, which I think is far too light to get tendonitis. Keep in my mind this idea revolves around the idea that the motor PATTERN is detrained much faster than the motor efficiency and motor units.

okay I see what you are saying

I have always thought that the motor efficiency and units detrained much faster, and that is why I am doing so much ohp lately.

Do you have any basis for 5x10? By the 50th rep I would assume muscular fatigue to be a legitimate factor. Maybe just try speed benching without contrast? or lower reps per set?
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Actually, including more ohp at the cost of bench volume would work opposite to that theory. If your bench is improving through less volume and training a different motor pattern, that suggests you simply had a muscular imbalance that was corrected by the press.

I haven't given any real thought to exactly what the reps/sets should be, maybe I will just do 5 sets and stop at the faintest sign of fatigue on each set.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Also, you wanna try something the russians are famous for? Using adaptogens.

I can't speak first hand as I haven't used anything besides ECDY, but ECDY worked great for me, added weight to my total every time I used it.

Basically adaptogens are herbs that supposedly increase adaptive ability through RNA transcription. Gingseng is a popular adaptogen.

Wanna superdose Ginseng for a few weeks and compare results?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:04 pm

Admin wrote:Actually, including more ohp at the cost of bench volume would work opposite to that theory. If your bench is improving through less volume and training a different motor pattern, that suggests you simply had a muscular imbalance that was corrected by the press.

can't fix a bad muscular imbalance in a few weeks tho

I haven't given any real thought to exactly what the reps/sets should be, maybe I will just do 5 sets and stop at the faintest sign of fatigue on each set.

that's probably the best option. Getting set on doing 5x10 everyday no matter what would probably end badly
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Admin wrote:Also, you wanna try something the russians are famous for? Using adaptogens.

I can't speak first hand as I haven't used anything besides ECDY, but ECDY worked great for me, added weight to my total every time I used it.

Basically adaptogens are herbs that supposedly increase adaptive ability through RNA transcription. Gingseng is a popular adaptogen.

interdasting, idk need more info.

Do you know if net sleep balance is what is important? I want to sleep 5 hrs sun-thurs and make up the diff on the weekends. Is this plausible?
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:14 pm

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Admin wrote:Actually, including more ohp at the cost of bench volume would work opposite to that theory. If your bench is improving through less volume and training a different motor pattern, that suggests you simply had a muscular imbalance that was corrected by the press.

that's probably the best option. Getting set on doing 5x10 everyday no matter what would probably end badly

You can't "fix" one that always existed, but you can certainly retrain a muscle that detrained and caused a muscle imbalance in a few workouts.

If I remember correctly, you used to push press and press much more often than you do now, it seems perfectly plausible that the strength you gained on the press carried over significantly to the bench press, and when you detrained the press, the bench suffered too.

If I remember correctly, you lost bench strength shortly after you quit pressing.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:17 pm

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Admin wrote:Also, you wanna try something the russians are famous for? Using adaptogens.

interdasting, idk need more info.

Do you know if net sleep balance is what is important? I want to sleep 5 hrs sun-thurs and make up the diff on the weekends. Is this plausible?

I am not going to be able to give you evidence that you will understand, most the data is russian, and involves some pretty in depth theories on the reason adaptogens work. In truth, its not known why they work, but there is a done of evidence that they do.

You can probably get a months worth of superdosed ginseng for like $10.

There is controversy on the sleep thing and how much individual days of sleep matter. My personal opinion is that it depends. Some people can adjust their sleep schedule like that and have no ill effects, but others would be groggy during the week, and the 2 days of sleeping in late would affect your sleep schedule.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Admin wrote:
KelvinAlvy wrote:

You can't "fix" one that always existed, but you can certainly retrain a muscle that detrained and caused a muscle imbalance in a few workouts.

If I remember correctly, you used to push press and press much more often than you do now, it seems perfectly plausible that the strength you gained on the press carried over significantly to the bench press, and when you detrained the press, the bench suffered too.

If I remember correctly, you lost bench strength shortly after you quit pressing.

But wouldn't that prove my theory lol? I decreased the frequency in my bench but I haven't lost my coordination.

Yeah that is probably correct. I didn't think it had a big effect on my bench but now that I am pressing again I think it helps

I am just going to concede a 365ish bench and try to push the squats/deadlifts hard for my next meet
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Admin wrote: I am not going to be able to give you evidence that you will understand, most the data is russian, and involves some pretty in depth theories on the reason adaptogens work. In truth, its not known why they work, but there is a done of evidence that they do.

There is controversy on the sleep thing and how much individual days of sleep matter. My personal opinion is that it depends. Some people can adjust their sleep schedule like that and have no ill effects, but others would be groggy during the week, and the 2 days of sleeping in late would affect your sleep schedule.

Is it toxic or dangerous in any whey?

I have been doing this since mid january and I feel fine and I seem to doing okay in the gym, but Idk if I could be doing better
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:29 pm

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Admin wrote:
KelvinAlvy wrote:

But wouldn't that prove my theory lol? I decreased the frequency in my bench but I haven't lost my coordination.

Yeah that is probably correct. I didn't think it had a big effect on my bench but now that I am pressing again I think it helps

I am just going to concede a 365ish bench and try to push the squats/deadlifts hard for my next meet

Everyone is different, you don't seem to have form issues like I do, so maybe you are more inherently motor pattern efficient than I am. LOL @ 365 bench.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:31 pm

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Admin wrote: I am not going to be able to give you evidence that you will understand, most the data is russian, and involves some pretty in depth theories on the reason adaptogens work. In truth, its not known why they work, but there is a done of evidence that they do.

Is it toxic or dangerous in any whey?

I have been doing this since mid january and I feel fine and I seem to doing okay in the gym, but Idk if I could be doing better

Last post, gotta do some reading.

Ginseng seems relatively safe even in extremely large doses, there some reported side effects, but there are reported side effects to everything. The worst side effect reported is difficulty sleeping, which was probably purely mental and nothing to do with the ginseng.

Do whatever works, remember, if it isnt broken, dont fix it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:47 pm

[quote="Admin"]
KelvinAlvy wrote:

Everyone is different, you don't seem to have form issues like I do, so maybe you are more inherently motor pattern efficient than I am. LOL @ 365 bench.

you can lol at my 365 bench until I pull 675
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:48 pm

Admin wrote:
Last post, gotta do some reading.

Ginseng seems relatively safe even in extremely large doses, there some reported side effects, but there are reported side effects to everything. The worst side effect reported is difficulty sleeping, which was probably purely mental and nothing to do with the ginseng.

I'll do it if you do it. Will I still be natty?

Do whatever works, remember, if it isnt broken, dont fix it.

y
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:12 am

Great, we can start right after I max my squat.

Of course you will natural you phaggot.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:26 am

Admin wrote:Great, we can start right after I max my squat.

Of course you will natural you phaggot.

seems like cheating

is gfoutris gonna beat you to 500?
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:46 am

cheating in the same sense that taking vitamin D is cheating or taking adderall to study better is cheating.

I dont know yet, depends how my heavy doubles go for the next 2 weeks. 465-470x2 and then 475-480x2

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:05 am

Admin wrote:cheating in the same sense that taking vitamin D is cheating or taking adderall to study better is cheating.

I dont know yet, depends how my heavy doubles go for the next 2 weeks. 465-470x2 and then 475-480x2

your grades aren't natty if you use addy

why not just continue the triples if you can keep hitting them
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:26 am

So I suppose people who have knee surgery arent natural either. The knee wouldn't heal itself like that.

Not sure why I am not doing another heavy triple. Most likely because I am scared if I extend my microcycle too long I will overtrain and not hit 500.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Admin wrote:So I suppose people who have knee surgery arent natural either. The knee wouldn't heal itself like that.

Not sure why I am not doing another heavy triple. Most likely because I am scared if I extend my microcycle too long I will overtrain and not hit 500.

Never realized that one. Good thing I haven't
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:20 am

Week 3 Volume

Competition Squat
45x8
135x5
225x5
315x4
405x4
495x4
515x4
535x4
515x4
495x4

Competition Deadlift
135x5
225x3
315x3
405x3
495x3
545 2x3

Chest Supported Row
2x10

Notes: Tore a callous pretty bad today, probably gonna use straps next session. Might go down to 2x a week deadlift but I don't wanna detrain
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:08 am

KelvinAlvy wrote:
Might go down to 2x a week deadlift but I don't wanna detrain[/b]

troll

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:26 am

Admin wrote:
KelvinAlvy wrote:
Might go down to 2x a week deadlift but I don't wanna detrain[/b]

troll

lol strong troll awareness

I think I can squat 3x a week and deadlift 3x a week indefinitely tho (srs)
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:33 am

of course you could, but obviously not at the same intensity that you could if you did it less often.

so what should I do for squats tomorrow? I am planning on maxing in 3 weeks. My current plan is

Week 1: 467.5x2
Week 2: 477.5x2
Week 3: 500 squat 560 deadlift

Other ideas?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelvinAlvy Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:53 am

Admin wrote:of course you could, but obviously not at the same intensity that you could if you did it less often.

The more often and intense I squat/dead the more often I can squat/dead

so what should I do for squats tomorrow? I am planning on maxing in 3 weeks. My current plan is

Week 1: 467.5x2
Week 2: 477.5x2
Week 3: 500 squat 560 deadlift

Other ideas?

Are you dead set on doubles? why not just try 460x3 and if you only get two of those start your doubles with that workout? You just started PRing why stop now
KelvinAlvy
KelvinAlvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum